Monday, February 28, 2011

veggies and mountain rain

"Those who sow in tears
will reap with songs of joy.
He who goes out weeping,
carrying seeds to sow,
will return with songs of Joy,
carrying sheaves with him."
psalm 126: 5,6

here in India, do we merely sow seeds, do we water? do we watch grow? sometimes it seems that we are here watching and waiting, having a few conversations here and there - praying that seeds will be sown that may take root and blossom years from now - and i'm ok with that, but I think God has other plans - he sees a harvest, and the tears we cry now, will turn to songs of joy. Im not sure what this will look like, but im excited to find out. its easy to get lost in the tears of sorrow while sowing seeds - but the power comes in the joy - in the harvest - and God is the one who causes it to happen. nothing that we can do. We just get to enjoy it, and sing.

I wish i could some how draw on here, or take a picture of a sketch in my notebook and share it here- as there is this image in my head as i wrote the following - the image is of several young girls, dangerously thin with large dark eyes, looking up at us as we left the resturant after lunch, begging for money holding their little tin cups, with a cloth draped over the top. One held a little baby. We were hurried along - told not to talk to them, not to look at them - "don't encourage them". Shoo - Nay - wave of a hand turn away - get in the rickshaw "lets go". I sadly looked back, deep into the girls eyes as i shook my head. I didn't realize then, but that encounter really affected me the next few days - and i didn't have time to process, so i failed to recognize what had taken root in my spirit. But when i had some moments of quite, it started to come back, and i could recognize the enemy's working.
here is what i wrote in the van as i was reflecting a few days later:

Big eyes stare up as i sit in the rickshaw ready to go - she askes for money - for shampoo for the baby. No, I shake my head as I smile sympathetically - I have nothing.
Then the enemy crept a thought into my heart that wighed me down - as if the he was speaking through the girl - "thats right, you have nothing to give - no way to help me, or others like me here on the streets. What can you do? We are too many. Thats right, just smile and drive away after your nice lunch."
But those are lies - and discouragement that i will not remain weighed down by! I may not have help for her right now - but I am trusting in God's plan. I will continue to follow - and perhaps be wosing seeds in tears - but I hold onto the promise that we will return with songs of JOY carrying sheaths in our hands.
That little girl is loved by the creator of the universe and I think i can trust Him to care for her. I will pray - even that the ministries in Kolhapur will find her.

so now i write...I know God has a plan - His people are working throughout the world, throughout Kolhapur, throughout India - his spirit is breaking down strongholds no one thought would change - I have been invited, and you have been invited, to join him in this work - and so through that we also are a part of helping that little girl. Never listen to the voices that say there is nothing you can do! For in Christ we have the victory. In His strength we can shine brightly and overcome the seeming endless darkeness.

So, as we were driving to visit some micro enterprise projects and a church founded by Mr Wilder (related to Laura Engles Wilder - little house on the prarie) we stopped at little roadside stands and got fresh fruit and some roasted corn on the cob with lime, salt and chilly powder :) and fresh carrots from a women's garden - set up like little Teepees on a blanket in her yard. The warm sun and fresh earth soaked into us, Nika and I rejoiced to have fresh food again! As we drove through the mountains yesterday rain started coming down- fresh cool rain - some people pulled over to get out and dance around as we drove past. :) the sun was tearing through the clowds and turning the hills to gold against the dark sky. The Lord is preparing a harvest - may we be ready as laborers in the fields!

No comments:

Post a Comment